Hello there, we are here to discuss regarding the ” Penetration Testing and Penetration Tester ” in this article.
About Penetration Testing and Penetration Tester.
Penetration Testing is also known as “Pen Testing“. Pen testing is the process of finding vulnerabilities i.e loopholes from where the cyber attack may be possible for hacking purpose & database breaching are removed from your Websites, Web Applications, Desktop Application, Mobile Application and Web Servers.
Pen Testers are the certified Ethical Hackers which helps you in finding the vulnerability and closing loopholes by providing the report which contains the paths (URLs) of the loopholes with evidence and reference links with recommended solutions for closing the loopholes.
Types of Pen Testing.
- White box, or authenticated tests, target the security of your underlying technology with full awareness of your IT department. Information typically shared with the tester includes network diagrams, IP addresses, system configurations and access credentials. This type of testing allows for different ‘role-based’ testing, allowing for InteliSecure penetration testers to act as various individuals within, or connected to, an organization.
- Black box, or unauthenticated, tests closely represent a hacker attempting to gain unauthorized access to a system or IT infrastructure to obtain and exfiltrate data. Black box penetration testing evaluates both the underlying technology as well as the people and processes in place to identify and block real-world attacks. InteliSecure testers will not have prior knowledge of your organization and architecture.
- Gray box testing lies between black and white. Testers will have knowledge of some areas but not others. These areas are defined at the start of an engagement.
Types of Report.
- Automated, testing reports contain vulnerabilities found using automated tools. These automated tools are configured and scan the vulnerabilities from targeted area of the code block
- Manually, the testing report contains vulnerabilities found using mutually testing methodologies.
- Hybrid, testing reports contain the vulnerabilities found using the automated testing tools and mutually testing methodologies.
Popular penetration testing OS.
- Kali Linux (replaced BackTrack December 2012) based on Debian
- Parrot Security OS based on Debian
- BlackArch based on ArchLinux
- BackBox based on Ubuntu
- Pentoo based on Gentoo
- WHAX based on Slackware
- Burp Suite
- Metasploit Project
- OWASP ZAP
Pen Tester Rates.
Most of the penetration tester will change you between 25$ to 100$ per hour. This rates may be flexible on the basis of the pen tester experience or pen testing report requirement.